Tuesday, February 9, 2010

“Fitness is the prime requirement of sports. Shooting is not an outdoor or field game like hockey or football, so physical stamina is not a priority for performance, mental ability is a deciding factor. But mental fitness depends on ones physical status. So ultimately for everyone fitness is must. Fitness automatically improves confidence; makes one energetic hence motivated which results in positive attitude. For me fitness is not achieving body zero figure! But to have hundred percent confidence in all aspects of life.


I follow rigorous regime during off-season and then slow down during competitive season. Generally six days a week during off-season and four days a week during competitive period. Everyday, I do exercise that includes cardio, free hand, upper body, lower body etc. also along with yoga which makes body flexible body and gives good breathing control.

Shooters have to carry lot of stuff like huge weapon boxes, accessory kit bags, which weighs more than 60kg. So one needs good stamina. But shooting practice itself is a good regular exercise for us as we constantly hold and carry more than 5kg weapon through out a day and also focus on the target that improves concentration. The way shooters hold the weapon and take shooting positions the work is more on backbone so I consciously do exercises for back muscles.

My game has given me confidence and vision. Fortunately it is very challenging event as performance is completely an individual show. So it teaches one to have control on ones own mind and body.

Diet

My breakfast is full of protein and carb. I eat oats, bread, eggs, milk and fruits. Lunch is very light as I have it between practice so I have a sandwich or some light snack. Dinner is full meal that is roti, dal, subji, salads and some non-vegetarian item. I love tandooriand biryanis I rarely drink aerated drinks

Mind

Psychological well-being depends on ones environment and surrounding also. Also how you think, what you do, how your relations are others. My team is like a family we have healthy competition amongst us, everyone is very helpful. At home am very lucky to have support, which keeps me motivated. Also if you learn to handle your ups and downs very well then I don’t think any psychological problem will distract one. I basically don’t compete with others I just compete with my own ability which helps me to improvise my performance. Keeping specific goal in mind I put in 100% effort in whatever I do.

I love to travel, I enjoy music, I like to read fictions and that’s how I relax and unwind. Generally I don’t have any stress but if I don’t touch my weapon for more than a week then I feel very restless!!

Spirituality

Spirituality means clean heart, positive feeling being a good human being and feeling of being as close to God. I find God everywhere around me I talk to him, I complain him, and I cry in front of him, he is my close friend.

I have strong faith that there is a supernatural power, which gives us strength of survival, courage to achieve and power to succeed. He is within every human being. I regularly pray to Lord Ganesha. Before going to bed I read holy books. Before entering my competition I pray, to the target machine, my weapon, ammunition and my self qualities to give me full support and help me to achieve my goal because at that time I feel that God exist in those objects whom I should pray and respect to achieve success.

Watching all games and tournaments, watching great players receiving medals on the podium has always inspired me.

Actually I started taking part in sports after watching Carl Lewis winning 4 golds in Olympics on TV. I often visualised myself standing on the podium with my medal and Indian National Anthem being played! Fortunately I could experience such proud moment many times in my life.

Be clear in your mind. Believe in your ability and give hundred per cent to whatever you do is my mantra”.

In the 2002 Commonwealth Games in Manchester, Anjali Bhagwat won four golds in the individual and pairs events of air rifle and small bore Rifle. She is the 1st Indian shooter to win gold in world cup finals at Milan 2003 and gold in world cup at Atlanta 2003. Bhagwat is also the recipient of the Arjuna award and Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna.


No comments:

Post a Comment