Monday, April 5, 2010

Destressing: Easier and cheaper ways

Relaxation is big business, with the pampering industry raking in billions each year from us stressed-out Brits. But some researchers now say that a fancy massage is no better at relieving stress than home relaxation techniques such as breathing deeply or listening to music.

I've never been a great fan of pampering treatments and I don't understand the appeal of staying at a spa - I think they are overpriced and not particularly relaxing. There are so many things you can do to unwind in the comfort of your home, which don't cost a penny.
I first devised my own de-stress routine in my 20s. I was doing a high-pressure job and would start to tense up in the car on my way to work - my breathing would become shallow and my hands would grip the steering wheel tightly. So I decided to devise a technique to get me into a calm frame of mind, which I could do whenever the car stopped in traffic or at the lights.
I would consciously relax my grip and concentrate on slowing my breath - breathing in to the count of five and out for a count of five. This soon brought my pulse rate down and the stress simply fell away.
Other free ways I like to relax:
Music
Studies show that listening to relaxing music for just 30 minutes a day can lead to a significant drop in blood pressure. Sit with your eyes closed and let the music sweep over you, as your cares float away.
Yoga
Gentle yoga stretches are a relaxing way to start and end the day and have the added soothing benefit of massaging your internal organs. You can pick up the technique from a book, DVD or by taking a couple of classes locally.
Visualisation
When stressed at work, sit back in your chair, close your eyes and picture something pleasant - when I worked in an office, one of my favourites was imagining myself skiing down a snow-covered mountain in the sunshine.
Watch a funny film Laughter boosts serotonin levels and encourages your muscles to relax. Even just anticipating laughing at a comedy can reduce your level of the stress hormone cortisol, according to one American study.
Meditation
Calming your mind is the key to relaxation. An easy way to get started is to light a candle and gently gaze at the flame, allowing all thoughts to empty from your mind.
Self-hypnosis
I got a great tip while filming a TV documentary in which a hypnotherapist was teaching the art of catnapping to busy women who weren't getting enough sleep.
The technique seemed so simple I didn't think it could possibly work. You just close your eyes, slow your breathing rate by half and start counting slowly backwards from ten to one, repeating the sentence "I'm going to go to sleep" after each number.
The first time I tried it, I didn't even get to five before I dropped off. I thought it might be beginner's luck but the next night was the same. Try it - it really works!

No comments:

Post a Comment